July 18, 2009

MLL: Outlaws Break Bayhawks in Defensive Battle

from press release

ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- The Washington Bayhawks (3-6) of Major League Lacrosse (MLL) lost a close game Saturday night to the Denver Outlaws (7-2) by a final score of 11-8 at Navy Marine-Corps Memorial Stadium. After allowing just one goal in the first half, the Bayhawks gave up 10 in the second, surrendered a fourth quarter lead and were shut out in the final period of the game.

The defenses came out strong in the first half for the Bayhawks and Outlaws. Both goaltenders were solid, allowing only four goals total in a low scoring defensive battle. Bayhawks Goalie Chris Garrity had seven saves in the first half and finished the night with 16. Annapolis native Ben Hunt scored the first goal of the night for the Bayhawks off a feed from attackman Jake Byrne. The rookie has now scored in three straight games for the Bayhawks. That would be the lone goal of the quarter.

In the second quarter, the Outlaws struck first with a goal from Drew Westervelt. He received the feed from Dan Hardy and fired an underhand shot on goal. Garrity got a piece of the shot but could not keep it from going into the net.

The Bayhawks responded on the very next face-off after Matt Abbott picked up the ground ball and found Jeff Reynolds in transition for the goal which put the Bayhawks up 2-1. Attackman Kevin Huntley would add the final goal of the half to send the Bayhawks into halftime with a 3-1 lead.

"The first half was the best defense we have played all season," said Bayhawks head coach John Tucker. "Denver has one of the best offenses in the league, and we took them out of their rhythm. Our guys got on them as soon as they crossed midfield and made them rush their attack."

Scoring would pick up early in the third period. Reynolds sunk his second goal of the game just one minute into the third period with a shot on the run in transition. His goal was followed by an unassisted tally by Billy Glading, who scored while drawing a penalty.

However on the next faceoff, Denver rookie Max Seibald won the draw and went straight to the cage, scoring a shorthanded goal.

The Bayhawks would counter with a man-up goal from Huntley which gave them a 6-2 edge.

Denver would score the next two goals, the first being an extra-man goal from Matt BrownJosh Sims found Brown inside on the crease and Brown put it past Garrity. Westervelt would score moments later to cut the lead to three.

Both teams would each score two more goals to end the period with the Bayhawks leading 8-6.

Denver came out strong in the fourth quarter. Former Bayhawk Jeff Sonke would score two straight goals to tie the score at 8-8. Westervelt would then score two straight goals for Denver. The first one a fast break goal in which he caught a pass from Brown right outside the crease and finished. Then he fired an underhand low to high shot that beat Garrity and gave the Outlaws a 10-8 lead. Seibald's late fourth quarter goal made the final score 11-8.

Westervelt was named the game's Bud Light MVP for his four-goal performance. He scored Denver's first goal of the game as well as the go-ahead goal in the fourth quarter.

The Bayhawks will return to action next Saturday, July 25, when they travel to Chicago to face the Machine. The game is scheduled for a 7 p.m. CST start. It will be Washington's second road game against the Machine but the first this season in Chicago. The Bayhawks beat the Machine in Milwaukee in the first of three meetings this season by a score of 16-14.  

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines