August 26, 2012

MVP Mundorf Attempts to Play Despite Torn Tendons

by Corey McLaughlin | | Twitter

MLL Championship

* Bayhawks Down Outlaws 16-6 to Win Title
* Live Blog Replay

MLL MVP Brendan Mundorf took pain-killing injections Sunday in his left ankle to try to play through what he said were torn tendons, but left the game in the second quarter.
© Bryce Vickmark

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — Brendan Mundorf emerged from the Denver Outlaws' post-game locker room on crutches, intent on leaving Harvard Stadium quickly. He just didn't know how he'd do it. "I guess we'll just get a cab," he said.

Mundorf, who was named league MVP on Thursday, tore ligaments in his left ankle in practice Friday and the injury was a point of discussion and concern all weekend for the Outlaws, who sought their first Major League Lacrosse championship in seven straight post-season appearances.

The injured ankle might require surgery. It certainly forced Mundorf to miss Saturday's semifinal against Long Island, and he left Sunday's MLL championship game against the Chesapeake Bayhawks in the second quarter when pain-killing shots he took pre-game wore off.

"Some tendons came off on my ankle on the bone," Mundorf said in his first comments detailing the injury, which occurred when he was hit with a stick on the outside of the ankle Friday. "Something holds them down, and that tore."

Mundorf said he would have the ankle re-evaluated by Dr. Les Matthews when he returns home to Baltimore.

Mundorf looked good in pre-game warmups Sunday — and much better than he did Saturday — going through a series of drills to test his movement. He ran freely under supervision of a trainer, but he also couldn't feel the pain. Throughout the first quarter and into the second, he hobbled on offense when play was in the Outlaws' defensive zone. A hard, clean hit from Chesapeake defenseman Brian Spallina put attention on Mundorf's injury even more, and after a timeout with 7:20 left in the second quarter, he never re-entered the game.

"My injury wasn't going to allow me to play," he said. "The warmup went good before the game. I had some local numbing injections. They felt great. I thought I was going to be able to go, not 100 percent, but more than I was [able to]. [The] stuff wore off by the time the game started.

"It was getting worse and worse. The hit really didn't make it worse, but as the game was going on, it got to the point where I couldn't really run any more."

Video has no source Url
comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines