June 1, 2013

Nats Stay Hot, Beat Bayhawks on Hall OT Strike

from staff reports

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — Midfielder Jordan Hall scored with 1:55 elapsed in overtime to lift the Hamilton Nationals to a 12-11 victory over the Chesapeake Bayhawks on Saturday night at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium.

Hall took a pass from attackman Joe Walters and fired a 10-yard shot past goalkeeper Kip Turner to put an end to a back-and-forth affair that featured 11 ties.

"It was great (to score the winner). Obviously, they are a very good team and they have a lot of talent," said Hall. "We had a system in place to battle them and neutralize it. I was kind of lucky to find myself in those positions both times."

Attackman Stephen Keogh fired in a career-high five goals as Hamilton (5-0) remained unbeaten and tied with Denver atop the Major League Lacrosse standings. Walters and fellow attackman Cody Jamieson both totaled a goal and three assists for the Nationals, who already have more wins this season than they did all of last season. Kevin Cunningham contributed five helpers.

"This is a good win for us. Any time you can beat the defending champs at home that is a good win," Hamilton head coach Dave Huntley said.

Second-year midfielder Matt Mackrides scored three goals and assisted another for Chesapeake (3-2), which suffered its second straight overtime loss. Attackmen Ben Rubeor, Drew Westervelt and John Grant Jr. scored two goals each for the Bayhawks, who outshot the Nationals 55-37 and finished with a 42-32 edge on ground balls.

"We haven't made the plays that we needed to make to win these close games," Chesapeake head coach Dave Cottle said.

Goalie Brett Queener finished with 14 saves for Hamilton. Chesapeake could not take advantage of the possession advantage provided by Adam Rand, who captured 16 of 27 face-offs.

Chesapeake trailed 10-8 going into the fourth quarter, but Mackrides scored consecutive unassisted goals 23 seconds apart to tie the score. A failed clear by the Bayhawks led to an unsettled goal for the Nationals with Hall firing in short shot from out front off a feed from Walters. With time winding down on the home team, Matt Abbott took a nice clearing pass from fellow defensive midfielder Dan Burns and finished a fast-break with a goal that tied the contest at 11.

Hamilton gained a power play with 47.2 seconds left, but Turner stuffed Keogh on a shot from the doorstep to preserve the tie. Chesapeake got the last shot of regulation with Queener turning away a cannon blast of a 2-pointer by Dixon that was on target.

Hamilton captured the opening face-off of overtime and called timeout to set up a play, but proceeded to throw the ball out of bounds without getting off a shot. Chesapeake did take a shot on its lone possession of overtime, but the attempt by Mackrides from out front was wide.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines