December 5, 2010

Edmonton, Toronto Victorious in Preseason

from press releases

ROCHESTER, N.Y. -- The Edmonton Rush broke open a 4-3 game in the second quarter to score eight of the next 10 goals, defeating the Rochester Knighthawks, 15-11, Saturday in a preseason scrimmage at the Iroquois Lacrosse Arena.

The Rush were led by rookie and Six Nations product Alex Kehoe Hill (3g, 1a), Brodie Merrill (2g), Andy Secore (2g, 1a) and Gavin Prout (2g, 2a). Matt Disher played the first half and held Rochester to five goals. Brandon Atherton came into the game in the third.

The Knighthawks were led by four-point efforts from Marty Hill (2g, 2a) and Joe Walters (2g, 2a), and a three-point night from Craig Point (2g, 1a). Scott also scored two goals in one half of work. Rochester did not dress Cody Jamieson, Shawn Evans, Chris Schiller, Shawn Williams and Jordan Hall. Matt Vinc played over 20 minutes and allowed just three goals, while Pat O'Toole played the third and Aaron Bold played the entire second half.

Merrill opened the scoring at 2:55 with a low shot that beat Vinc with Secore assisting. After a tussle between Rochester's Troy Bonterre and Edmonton's Kyle McEwan, Prout made it 2-0 at 8:47 of the first. Secore connected on the power play at 11:45 for a 3-0 Edmonton lead. Hill scored another Edmonton power-play goal to increase the lead to 4-0 at 13:26.

The Knighthawks strung together three quick goals in the second quarter to cut the Edmonton lead down to one. Rochester got on the board when Joel McCready scored from Joe Walters at 1:55. Scott Evans then beat Disher with a low shot to the lower left corner to cut the lead to 4-2. Rookie Marty Hill and Mike Accursi earned assists on the goal at 2:42 of the second. Hill grabbed a pass from McCready and beat Disher just 1:23 later to trim the deficit to 4-3. Vinc gave way to O'Toole at 4:05 of the second after allowing three goals in just over 20 minutes of work.

Edmonton greeted him with two straight shorthanded goals. Scott Tinning connected on a breakaway goal at 4:47 and Merrill scored his second of the night at 5:10. The Rush's Hill assisted on the goal by Merrill then scored his second of the game at 6:44 for a 7-3 edge. Scott Evans cut the lead back down to three on a delayed penalty at 9:04.

The Rush, however, took control of the second quarter with four straight goals. Dane Stevens converted a Prout cross-crease pass at 9:37 to make it 8-4. Hill scored his third of the night for a 9-4 advantage and Prout collected his second of the evening for a 10-5 lead. Bobby McBride netted a late goal for the Knighthawks, while Dean Hill cut to the net and beat O'Toole for the Rush's 11th goal. Secore registered his second of the game with 29 seconds to go for a 12-5 Rush lead.

Rochester changed its lineup for the third quarter and Craig Point connected at 4:45 from Hill to make it 12-6. Stevens beat Bold to help the Rush regain their seven-goal cushion at 11:17. Hill then scored through a screen for his second of the night and fourth point of the evening.

In the fourth, Point notched his second of the game on a hidden-ball play to make it 13-8. Tinning responded for the Rush with his second for the 14th Edmonton goal. With 9:17 left, McEwan and Rochester's Chandon Hill got locked up in the Rochester zone with neither player landing a striking blow. Rookie Josh Ruys scored a nifty breakaway goal at 8:26 to bring the K-Hawks within five at 14-9. Rochester struck again as Walters scored on a nice pass from point at 10:14. Walters scored again, after Dean Hill scored for the Rush, to narrow the gap to 15-11.


DENVER -- Aaron Pascas scored three times to pace the Toronto Rock in its 10-7 preseason win over the Colorado Mammoth on Saturday night at the Pepsi Center in Denver.

"Our work ethic was really good tonight which is something we thrive on and we came out on top tonight," said Rock Head Coach Troy Cordingley following the Toronto victory.

The first half was a see-saw affair with neither team able to take more than a one-goal advantage.

Pascas opened the scoring for the Rock but was quickly answered by Bryan Langtry. Mat MacLeod cut hard to the net and beat Mammoth goaltender Chris Levis to give the Rock a 2-1 edge.

Colorado would do the rest of the scoring in the first quarter as Langtry cashed in his second of the game diving through the crease and Jamie Shewchuk scored to give the Mammoth a 3-2 lead after one quarter.

Toronto started the second quarter with Gee Nash in net replacing Pat Campbell who started the game.

The Rock were the recipients of the first power play of the game and Rob Hellyer scored quickly to tie the game 3-3.

Jamie Shewchuk put the Mammoth up by a goal at 4-3 before the Rock rattled off a pair to round out the first half and take a 5-4 lead. Hellyer and MacLeod each scoring their second goals of the game.

The Rock came out of the gate sharp in the second half as Andrew Potter beat Rob Blasdell who was on to replace Chris Levis in the second half.

Aaron Pascas got his second of the game to increase the Rock lead to 7-4.

Connor Martin brought the Pepsi Center crowd to their feet with a goal to draw the Mammoth back to within 2 goals. However, Josh Wasson restored the Rock three-goal advantage at 8-5 after three quarters.

The fourth quarter saw Campbell re-enter the game in the Rock goal as the two teams exchanged goals, each scoring twice to make the final 10-7 Toronto. Aaron Pascas notched his third goal of the game and Garrett Billings rounded out the Toronto scoring.

"He seemed to be a little bit greasy in there getting open," said Cordingley of rookie Pascas. "I thought he did a very good job moving off ball."

"Things are about as clear as mud," said Cordingley eloquently summing up the decision making process the coaches are now faced with.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines